- This event has passed.
Special TCA Event: Guided Walk in Davy Crockett National Forest
April 30, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
Explore bottomland forest along Piney Creek and see the only population of Southern magnolias in Davy Crockett National Forest. Join Larry Shelton, TCA’s National Forest Policy Coordinator, at the Oaklawn Baptist Church parking lot at 10:00 AM Saturday, April 30, 2022. We’ll caravan to the trail head, then take a walk through an area TCA has nominated as a Special Management area, to protect its mature trees and exceptional biodiversity. We’ll picnic along the trail and aim at being back at the trailhead by 2:00 PM.
- Meet at Oaklawn Baptist Church, 4.7 miles north of Groveton on Hwy 94 (28.4 miles southwest of Lufkin).
- Internet access and mobile phone service could be spotty. Print directions beforehand and be prepared.
- Dress for the weather including shoes that can get muddy and long pants.
- Sunscreen, bug spray, a hat, and a reusable water bottle are advised.
- Pack water and a picnic lunch to enjoy in the forest.
- No bathrooms.
RSVP is highly recommended in case weather or other factors necessitate change or cancelation. Anyone who has RSVP’d will be sent a detailed schedule and notified of any changes.
Larry’s walks always get rave reviews. We hope you can join us for this one!