The First National Bank of Sonora was organized by E.R. Jackson in 1900, only 10 years after Sonora became a town. The move to organize a bank was deemed foolhardy by some who had already seen two financial institutions fail. A building committee was appointed. The contract for construction of the building was given to B.F. Bellows, plans for the building having been drawn by Oscar O. Rufini. The stone work was done by John Swinburn. Because of the slight delay in completing construction of the building, the bank opened for business on August 15, 1900, in the office of Mr. Vander Stucken’s general store, staying there a few days and then going to the Hagerlund Brothers’ store for two or three more weeks until the new building was completed. The cost of the structure was $2,500.00.
The First National Bank of Sonora / San Angelo Banking Center / Boerne Banking Center, today is collectively known as Sonora Bank, and continues to be a family-owned community bank with many of the descendants of the original Board of Directors serving on the current Board. They are Ronald Cox, Edwin E. Sawyer III, Ben Pool, Israel Pena, Besa Martin, Jamie Akin and Bob Malone.
The Directors and Staff strive to fulfill our mission of “Providing Excellent, Professional Financial Services in a Hometown Atmosphere”.